Tuesday 14 April 2009

On Song in Seoul


I came across Korean designer Song Zio over on the Fashion156 daily blog over Easter Weekend and just had to share the highlight of Seoul Fashion Week with you all. As the sunshine and (mild) heat of the previous week had deserted us during our four day long weekend, this collection provided more than a little sartorial inspiration to ponder whilst eating the odd mini egg or twenty.

There really is life beyond the standard fashion week circus and it is so much fun uncovering talent from more far-flung Fashion Weeks. As the grey skies and drizzle played havoc with my Easter plans (I just wanted to eat, drink and be merry in pub gardens and parks in a relatively deserted London) I was comforted by the alpacas, cashmeres and leather which was folded and draped in to quite wonderful sculptured jackets, and wide, billowing trousers.

These are silhouettes that you just don't see in street style and it is a real shame. The dramatic effect of the trouser is what really made me fall for this collection and it is something I would love to integrate in to one or two looks. This is not as simple as it sounds and will require a trip to a tailor as the High Street fails to deliver on volume. Although a little controversial, I personally loved Kris Van Assche's samurai trousers showcased in his Dior Aw08 collection and expected to see a few more affordable options trickle down to the High Street but I'm still waiting. Of course they are a little difficult to wear but as Van Assche declared himself "at the beginning, everybody thought that stretch black jeans were hard to wear." I for one long to experiment with volume and play with a few different silhouettes this season and it would be nice to see something other than skinny jeans.

6 comments:

Songy said...

I always get excited when I see guys covering Korean designers although I don't live there any more. Zio is great but there are so many great desigers there. I hope to get there one day. I did hear that the organizers were hopeless with western media. We will have to see I suppose. :)

Style Salvage Steve said...

Songy: Korean designers do seem to get overlooked by the western media. I've tried to navigate myself around but thus far Zio has been my highlight. If you come across anyone that you think I should cover please so send them my way.

Ian Brown said...

I have to question Assche's quote. Who is "everybody"? Kids have been wearing skinny black jeans since the eighties pretty much non-stop in punk and hardcore circles.

Style Salvage Steve said...

Ian Brown: In defence of Assche...everybody else then. Skinny black jeans have indeed been worn by a minority of folk for many years but they are now widely worn by the masses. His point is, who would've have really expected that? Anything is really possible, tastes can change quite quickly and painlessly.

Unknown said...

While I long for an antidote to the skinny-jean I'm not sure I'd embrace such voluminous trousers as an alternative. I just don't feel anything baggier than a straight-leg is at all flattering on the male silhouette.

Then again, I suppose one doesn't always dress oneself according to what's flattering...

/Male Mode.

Ian Brown said...

Steve,

I prefer violent revolution! Sumptuary laws if you will.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails