Monday 7 September 2009

Wake me up when the blue bells are ringing

There has been a change in the air in London over the weekend and I fear we have seen the last of Summer. In many ways it is a nice change because the hot, sticky air has been replaced by one which is altogether more agreeable and comfortable but we all know where this leads...to months of rain, grey skies and chattering teeth. There will be a time over the course of the next few months where my initial rejoicing of the renewed ability to layer and wrap myself up in rich textures and bountiful fabrics will be replaced with a whining voice eager to see the sun again, to see Spring. Blue bells are one of the first signs of Spring that I look out for but Blue Bell's of an altogether different kind have popped up for a six week period on Lambs Conduit Street.


Blue Bell, Wrangler's premium denim brand has picked one of my favourite streets to open its first-ever retail store. For me, there is no better way to spend an hour on a Saturday afternoon than to meander down Holborn's Lambs Conduit Street armed with my camera. As Monocle mentioned in Issue 16, it is the perfect street for a stroll, some tapas and more interestingly for us, a little retail renaissance. Independent retail is key to the street's success and the delicate assortment of small fashion labels like Folk, Pokit and Oliver Spencer mixed with a tailor, a bike repair shop, booksellers and a record shop combine to make this a street to truly cherish.


The pop up store at 47 Lambs Conduit Street (astute readers might recall that Universal Works recently popped up at the same location) showcases products from AW09, the debut season for Wrangler’s relaunched Blue Bell brand. The store has been transformed for Bluebell to compliment the antiquated feel of the street. Warm woods and natural textiles have been utilised across the shop’s interior creating a welcoming environment.

Blue Bell’s American heritage has been channelled throughout the store fit with subtle references in the vintage jars, antique striped cotton and painted flags which almost provoke a chorus of 'Oh say, can you see..'. The collection itself hangs on vintage hangers on customised steel rails decorated with vintage, knotted handkerchiefs. I could easily have spent another hour or two in there taking everything in. If you ever find yourself in Central London and want to escape the hustle and bustle of Oxford Street, Regents Street and Soho I urge you to escape to Lambs Conduit Street.

3 comments:

Jason said...

I've yet to stroll down Lambs Conduit Street. Next time I am in London I will do though. Thanks for the tip, looks like an interesting store.

Disneyrollergirl.net said...

Ugh, I feel sick with joy looking at those pics!

Lyndsay said...

The discovery of such an authentic clothing store is great. I love the shots instore, so classic.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails